Sunday, July 03, 2005

cowboy hat random pajama insanity


Or, another weekend in Hong Kong:

Thursday night:
Canada D’eh celebration in Lan Kwai Fong. The colors white and red, and a profusion of silly hats and drunken Canadian madness ensued, and before I knew it, it was 6:30 in the morning and I was barely headed home. Due to admirable restraint on my part, I did not black out. Thus, I retain wonderful memories of the evening’s good conversations and new friends.



Friday night:

Hung out with a few friends at Isobar. Went home early (12:30am) so I could try to recover from Thurs. night’s partying and ready myself for Saturday.


Saturday:
Went to Stanley, on the opposite side of HK Island, for lunch at an adorable Vietnamese restaurant on a balcony overlooking the sea. Wandered around Stanley Market.

My newfound piano virtuoso friend Cal came over to take me and Maria to Kowloon for hot pot. We stuffed ourselves silly with all sorts of steamy hot goodness.

After dinner, we headed over to Victoria Peak to check out the view. My good friend Gerry, who I met in the Cinque Terre in Italy and was coincidentally in Hong Kong to visit his gf’s parents, met us up there, and we spent a few minutes taking in the spectacular sight of the night skyline.

Since it was past midnight by the time we were done at the Peak, we had some trouble getting a taxi back down the mountain. Luckily, there was one last bus leaving. We spotted two men walking past in their pajamas, up to the bus stop to wait for the bus. We snickered and pointed and ruminated on why in the world two grown men would be waiting at a bus stop on Victoria Peak, past midnight, in Snoopy pajamas. Then, we looked behind us and saw that there were at least twenty other people, all dressed in pajamas, also walking to the bus stop. We exchanged wild-eyed is-this-really-happening looks, and once it was determined that none of us were hallucinating, we boarded the bus with 20-30 pajama clad adults.

Then we told Cal to take a picture of them, and all hell broke loose.

They cheered loudly, and came upstairs (we had retreated to the second story of the double-decker bus) to surround us and ask us questions, and collectively let out “oohs” and “aaahs” at our answers. When we asked them “Um…why are you all wearing pajamas?” they answered, “It’s 12:30am. Why aren’t you in pajamas?”

Can you say random??

Turned out they were on some leadership training seminar, and this was a walking-around-looking-ridiculous-in-public-places exercise. Riiiight.

We headed over to Lan Kwai Fong to go drinking, and thus began and ended another night of great conversation and new discoveries.

What I love the most about this trip is all the amazing people I have met. Everyone is absolutely fabulously awesome, and I cannot believe my luck. Within one month of landing, I can name eighteen people I whom I hang out with regularly, each of them already holding special places in my heart. And to think I was afraid of being lonely this summer!

My flatmate is way cool and I can’t wait to go partying with her once she recovers from the jetlag!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pic!!

Don't forget to email me a copy.

Pajama party!!???

Anonymous said...

...I am not... a Piano Virtuoso...

I am... just... a beginner..!!

BTW! They didn't email me and I feel such relief! You know... the PJ people..