Sunday, April 28, 2002

In the Basilique de Fouveiere, Lyon, France. April 3, 2002

I climbed up a steep hillside garden sprinkeld with tulips and trees that showered small white petals like a delightful spring rain. The hill was so steep that I closed my eyes, feeling the weight of my camera strap against my neck like a pendulum, and imagined I was walking up the central street in Riomaggiore. At the top of the hill there was a panoramic view of the city, its orange rooftops gathered closely around the two great rivers that bisect it.

The inside of the basilica is gilded to the hilt, but done nicely, with a subdued rainbow of pastel colors. Organ music echoes through the space, as do the footsteps of churchgoers and tourists. The vaulting on these ceilings are interesting--either I've forgotten what kind they are, or I never learned of them.

The stained glass windows are truly a sight to behold--the colors are very nuanced, and I can see the details and shadowing of the clothing, and the stripes on a tiger's back. The side windows (there are 3 sets of 3 panels on each side) are more subtle than the three giant windows behind the altar tht display a profusion of royal purples, reds, blues, and oranges in a sunburst of color.

No comments: