Thursday, January 23, 2003

i had an interesting discussion yesterday about whether we use morals as a cover-up for the fact that we actually always do what is in our own best interest.

por ejemplo, i'd like to think that i want to have a successful career because i want to be able to provide for my children the opportunities i lacked as a child. but doesn't that mean that i'd also live a pretty comfortable life? i don't even particularly like kids. are my morals just a sham to trick myself into believing that i'm less selfish than i really am? i'd like to believe otherwise.

where do morals come from? i used to think i knew the answer--that morals come from God. but now that i'm not so sure. if i create my own morals, then i am my own God, and that's scary because i don't know what the hell i'm doing. whatever happened to my faith? it's discouraging to think that something i used to believe so, so strongly, albeit blindly, i now question with such skepticism.

abliet? albeit? skepticism? scepticism? oh, nevermind....

No comments: