Friday, October 22, 2004

Drunken Escapades of Karen, Episode 406

I don't know if I'll ever live this one down....

Last Saturday, I went with Tim, Scott, Susi, Sungjee, Nanya and Dave to Mexico. We went to Puerto Nuevo to eat an amazing lobster dinner (pictures below). Then to Rosarito, where a man approached us with $15 all-you-can-drink wristbands for Club Iggy’s. I think you know what happened next, so I’ll skip to the aftermath:

We were driving past the border checkpoint on our way home, me asleep in the back seat, when the officer stopped us to ask each of us our citizenship. Everyone else told him “U.S.A.” but when he got to me, all I seemed to know how to say was “Citizenessessessz…” (they think I was trying to repeat the last word I heard, “Citizenship.” He asked me about 5 times, leaning over the driver’s window, and then went around the car to my window and asked me 5 more times, and each time, I said “Citizenesesessz…” Tim and Scott told me “Okay, the next time he asks you, all you need to say is USA.” I said “Okay, got it!” and when he asked me again I still said “Citizensessessz.”

So he detained us. In the detention area, Scott took the bright orange ticket stating the reason we were detained (on which was printed “NO RESPONSE FROM KAREN”), stuck it on my forehead ( I had passed out again), and took several pictures. Immediately afterward a cop rushed to the vehicle and stated she would have to confiscate the camera because we were taking pictures in a federally secured area. We pleaded and then we had to show her the pictures of me passed out with the ticket on my forehead and erase them in front of her.

I woke up when she accused us of being either terrorists or stupid. I asked my friends what was happening, and when they told me, I found it incredibly funny and couldn't stop laughing and giggling for quite some time. I wonder if they were irritated at my having caused them to be detained and then waking up only to keep laughing and laughing. But you know, they were laughing with (at) me too...

We ended up having to stay until 6am.

I am, at this moment and possibly forever, the laughing stock of an overwhelming majority of my friends, and the consant butt of border patrol jokes and loud shouts of "USA!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well at least you didn't flash them in your drunken state.- Sweta

Anonymous said...

actually... boarder patrol probably would have let them go if she had flashed them... something to think about for next time K!