Friday, December 03, 2004

good idea, bad idea...

commerical for KY lubricant...OK

commercial promoting tolerance and encouraging people to attend church...Not OK.

I'm usually annoyed by religious commercials because they play on the viewers' sense of guilt. This one didn't bother me at all.

Even though I have no idea what I believe these days, I found this commercial heartwarming-not offensive.

It delivers a very important message--that you should never feel too inadequate to seek God. And given the barrage of horribly inane commercials we're faced with every day, it's a breath of fresh air to see one that isn't telling me to buy something.

I think it's ridiculous that the networks refused to air this commercial as too "controversial."

I see no controversy here--just the sad consequence of a paranoid sense of political correctness that ends up perpetuating the intolerance it seeks to assuage.

2 comments:

john_m_burt said...

Let's keep it simple:

Jesus never turned anyone away.

CBS and NBC did.

Marianne said...

I completely agree!

I too, find commercials for religion a little on the iffy side (same reason I have a problem with people going door to door trying to sell a different faith: if I won't buy a vacuum cleaner from a door to door salesman, why on EARTH would I "buy" a religion?) but there is nothing wrong with promoting tolerance.