Tuesday, July 18, 2006

two sides of the coin

Captivating forum thread on the current hostilities between Israel and Lebanon. Truly a must-read.

The two main posters on this thread, BEYFlyer and Dovster, live in Beiruit and Northern Israel.

The fact that their discussion remains friendly is so inspiring.

If there is to be peace in the Middle East, we're going to need more people like these two.

Some recent posts:

BEYFlyer, from Beiruit, 2:34 am today:
The terror continues even here in the mountains. Last night was really rough on all of us. About 30 minutes after my last post, IAF raided a Lebabese army base not far from where we are. In total, there were about 8 raids spread over a period of 45 minutes. We headed down and into the lowest lying room in the house hoping for some protection. The kids were a mess and so were we to be honest. Throughout all of this alex0683de was sending me SMS messages trying to keep me "occupied". I appreciate you staying up with me and allowing me to breathe a breath of fresh air every now and then.

Again, I must ask the question, if Israel wants Lebanon to deploy its army in the South, why oh why oh why are they constantly bombing Lebanese army bases and killing hundreds of

Lebanese soldiers??? Does this make any sense to anyone? Please if there are any ex-military folks out there who can shed some light on the matter and explain the startegy behind such attacks, please feel free to add your comments.

One has no choice but to start wondering what is Israel's motive behind all of this. This has gone too far and is now clearly in the "absurd" category... There is no safe place left in Lebanon and it seems we are all now legitimate targets.

Dovster for both of our sakes, I hope this insanity ends soon. Take care and stay safe.


Dovster, from Israel:
BEYFlyer, I can only give you a partial answer -- and that is in regards to the IDF strikes on the Lebanese Army radar stations along the coast.

It was reported on Israeli television that the Lebanese Army radar had given Hizbollah tracking information which allowed it to shoot the missiles at the Israeli naval ships.

As for the rest of what you asked, I have two points/questions:

1. Are you certain about that number -- "hundreds of Lebanese soldiers"? I have not heard any estimates anywhere near that high.

2. Israelis, too, are asking why the Lebanese Army is being attacked. I have heard several television commentators wondering about that.

I remember that during the 1982 war (which others here might not know was fought in Lebanon but against the PLO, not the Lebanese Army) one Lebanese tank fired a single, symbolic, shot at the IDF and the Israelis were ordered not to return fire.

That was the only shooting between Israel and Lebanon in 1982. You are right -- Israel is demanding that the Lebanese Army take up positions in South Lebanon, guarding the border, and a war against that Army can only make this more difficult.

There may be military reasons (such as what I discussed about the radar stations) but if there are, they have not been made public here and it is causing quite a few Israelis to be unhappy with this development.

Meanwhile, on the Northern Front (for me) and the Southern Front (for you), all is not quiet.

As you undoubtedly have heard, Hizbollah has been firing 70 to 100 missiles daily at Israeli cities, towns, and villages. In return, there are literally thousands of artillery rounds being sent northward by Israel daily.

Sometimes I feel that I can hear every single one of these from my house. Logically, I know that is impossible but the shooting seems almost relentless.

at 2:39pm today:
The shooting started up again a few minutes ago, this time on a big enough scale that my house started shaking.

Seeing as we are on top of a mountain, I wonder if this means that I have moved to Ohio and am now in Shaker Heights.

Anyhow, whatever else it means, it definitely is telling me I should go to bed in my bomb shelter, so good night to all.

No comments: