Tuesday, May 31, 2005

hongkong

I arrived after a tortuous plane ride and horrible, horrible, awful plane food (note to self: always bring own food when flying Japan Airlines). Still recovering from the jetlag. Currently I am forced to stay in my apartment, as it is way, way too hot outside to go exploring. Will venture out when it gets cooler.

My apartment is really cute! Perfect location and really charmingly decorated. My room is tiny, but I don't have too much stuff with me so it's just fine. I live right above Man Mo Temple on Hollywood Road. It's a little temple filled with coils of incense that hang over your head. I want to get my fortune told there sometime soon.

I stopped by work today to learn that my visa has been delayed until the day after tomorrow, so I don't need to go to work until then! In order to activate my work visa I will need to leave the country, so I'm headed off to Macau in two days to sightsee. I'm glad I never made it to Macau last summer, so I still have stuff left to see.

It's such a trip being here. Walking around, just stopping to stare at the throngs of people everyhere, occasionally looking up and realizing I'm on the bottom level of a city that extends up countless skyscrapers. I feel like I've been transplanted into a whole different world...but I guess that was the point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...Karen, i hope i can be like you one day and travel the world as often as you do. Have fun and stay safe!