Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Easter morning

Woke up Sunday morning at 5am, still jetlagged from Vienna.
I decided to drive up to LA and visit my family.

What an amazing morning—
Driving up the 5 fwy, only a handful of cars on the road,
On my left, the slate grey Pacific changed into a deep blue as the sun peeked over the mountains to my right
On both sides, a profusion of wildflowers,
Yellow, purple, white, sometimes specks of magenta and navy,
The sliver lining to all the rain we’ve had lately.
The iPod on full blast:
Louis Armstrong: Sunny Side of the Street
The Beatles: Here comes the Sun
Jack Johnson: Flake
The Gypsy Kings: Hotel California

It was the best hour and a half drive ever.

When I got to my parent’s house at 7:30am, everyone had already left for church, the freaks. I got to wander around my house, checking out the charred remains of the kitchen that my dad accidentally burned down a few days ago. Everyone else is alternately horrified that the kitchen burnt down and relieved the rest of the house didn’t. But my sister and I find it hilarious beyond belief that after 20 years of my dad griping “you better watch out, you’re going to burn the kitchen down!” he’s the one who finally does it.

Spent the rest of the morning and afternoon hanging out with my beautiful goddaughter, who is growing like crazy and can melt iron and hearts with her smile.

No comments: