Sunday, April 17, 2005

officially old

i had such a great time at my birthday dinner!

one of the hardest things about "growing up" for me was realizing that the house i grew up is was no longer my home. and with the disappearance of a physical place to come home to, something inside me shrank--i always felt out of place, always in a state of transition, like my apartment, or even my own skin--is something i inhabit only temporarily.

i still feel that way (i think--or at least i hope--it's a side effect of being in your twenties), but i felt it even more after i moved to san diego, because i was no longer surrounded by the friends and family i've known all my life.

there's a saying that you can judge who a person is by looking at their friends. and looking around the table at my birthday dinner, i really hope it's true, because i was completely amazed at the quality of the people surrounding me.

every one of them extraordinary.

it felt so good to have so many people i love in the same room, all sharing sake and beer and sushi, and having a great time. i guess i hadn't realized how many friends i had made, and how much all of them mean to me.

it was the first night that i realized that when i leave san diego, i'm really going to miss this place and all the wonderful people i've met here.

1 comment:

PauLee said...

Twas a fun night. I feel so fortunate to have infiltrated your circle of law student colleagues because I'm going to need all your help later on when I go Columbine at work. Hope year 25 is treating you well so far. When will you grace us with chicken adobo once again???