Monday, July 19, 2004

Am I an alcoholic?

I’ve been grappling with this question for some time now.
I took the test at http://www.alcoholscreening.org/ and the results were surprising:
Based on your Responses:It is likely that your current drinking patterns are hazardous or harmful to your health and well being. Your responses to the AUDIT (Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test) are in a range believed to be consistent with problems related to drinking. However, the AUDIT cannot diagnose any condition or tell you for certain if alcohol use is harming your health; rather, it is a screening test to determine the likelihood of problematic drinking, and thus whether you should seek further evaluation.
Many people are not aware of how their alcohol consumption compares to that of the general public. More than 96.5% of the general adult American population and 99% of women consume fewer drinks per week than you reported consuming.
But I guess alcoholism is only alcoholism when it interferes with your life, right?
I’ve gotten rid of a lot of addictions these past few years. Must I add alcohol to the list?
I mean, I don’t want to end up one of those drunk-all-the-time-in-the-middle-of-the-day, washed-up looking people who stagger around in their messy apartment unable to face reality.
What do you guys think?

No comments: