Sunday, July 04, 2004

Thailand

First of all, let me tell you about our gorgeous hotel: It was the Dusit Laguna Phuket, and by far the most gorgeous hotel I've ever stayed in. Five-stars and a member of the Leading Hotels of the World, and opulent in every sense. I can't believe 4 nights and r/t air cost less than $300 for this place. There were rose petals on our bed, and each evening they put an orchid on your pillow with a card that says "goodnight" with a different inspirational passage. My room overlooked a small lake, garden and gazebo, beyond which I could see the waves crashing on the beach. Breakfast every morning included made to order omelettes and a juice bar, and tons of fresh papaya, pineapple, and other strange but delicious tropical fruits.

Our first full day, we went to Phuket town to shop for sarongs, and then booked a 4-hour session at the Tahn Tara spa. We first relaxed in the open-air lobby with a cup of spicy ginger tea, and then were led to the beauty salon for a manicure and pedicure. After showering, I steeped in the sauna while Lisa and Sweta relaxed in the jacuzzi. After 20 minutes of breathing the ginger and spice-infused steam, I took another shower and wrapped myself in a sarong, and was led to the massage room.

The room had a patio overlooking a marshy lake. I was first scrubbed for half an hour all over with a body scrub that smelled like orange creamsicle. Then, the masseuse bathed my feet in lime water and gave me a 30-minute reflexology foot massage. She worked the rose essential oil up and to the rest of my body during another 60 minutes of full-body masssage, while another lady slathered my face with banana scrub, honey mask and cucumber mask. I was completely blissed-out. Afterwards, we put on our sarongs again and went back to the beauty parlor to have our nails have fruit and tea.

It is now my belief that the answer to world peace lies in providing free spa treatments to all people as a human right.


No comments: