Thursday, July 22, 2004

Book Reviews

So far this summer, I've read:

Ghostwritten, by David Mitchell
I just had to mention this again. Genius.

The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum
Funny and witty, but more chi-chi than the Bad Girl series. I prefer the Bad Girl books to this book.

Girl With a Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevalier
Wanted to see what the hype was all about. I have no idea how they could have made a movie out of this, as I found it rather bleh. A very fast read though, and not too boring. Just not riveting or very intellectually stimulating.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon
Won the Pulitzer prize. Amazing use of language, but rather long.

Sputnik Sweetheart, by Haruki Murakami
Murakami is the newest addition to my favorite authors list! His writing is somehow simultaneously sparse and rich, his descriptions haunting, the plots unexpected, twisting the boundaries of time and space---reading him makes you wonder: is this me, sitting here, reading this book, is this reality? His storylines remind me of Borges's Labyritnos.

I'm currently reading Murakami's Dance, Dance, Dance, and enjoying each and every word. I'd recommend reading him as much as reading David Mitchell, Steven Pressfield, and--dare I say it? Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

No comments: