Sunday, June 05, 2005

Sometimes when I'm wandering around Hong Kong, in some back alley, squeezing papayas at fruit stands and recoiling from the chicken feet on styrofoam pallets set out for sale, or just staring up, up, up at the buildings all around me, I think:

What the hell am I doing here? How did I end up here?

A few years ago I made it a personal goal of mine to constantly push my own boundaries. Law school was a result of that decision, and even though I'm always complaining about it, I can't deny that it's been a real eye-opener for me. The decision to work abroad this summer, instead of going the summer associate route in california, is likewise a product of my desire to do things differently--to put myelf in unexpected situations and see how much I can grow. It's also why I am, at the end of my internships, packing one small backpack and travelling for two weeks in search of whatever in laos, cambodia, and northern thailand.

Sometimes though, I wonder of this wanderlust is not in fact a form of escapism, in which case my perceived courage is instead cowardice at facing up to the inevitable routine I will have to settle in to at some point in life-probably sooner than later.

It's going to be an amazing adventure this summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I think it's amazing that you are in Hong Kong pushing your boundaries...inspirational even. I wish I did something like that and hope to pursue a career that allows me travel all over the world. Life is short and we have to make the best of it, which is exactly what you are doing. Hope you have an awesome trip. I'll be reading your blogs and living vicariously through your journey in Asia, while I'll be studying for the next couple months for the bar. :)
Love,
Pamela

Anonymous said...

I think you have achieved more knowledge and experience than I could hope to accomplish in my entire life. With that said, I'd like to point out that even if this were some form of escapism, it's probably the most rewarding and enriching form of escapism. On another side note I wanted to suggest that you might be experiencing a mental barrier. You seem to be confined or limited by a need to justify your desires.